Monday, November 08, 2010

From Wet to Dry... Arkansas = EXTREME weather!

If we're going to talk about extreme weather here in Arkansas, check out these guys who thrive on extremes!

These "Storm Chasers" from the Discovery Channel were showing off their adventures last weekend at the National Weather Festival in Norman, Oklahoma. Our own "WeatherNinja" spent last Saturday there and shot this video. He'll have more on "Ninja's Corner" later today.

video
Despite recent rainfall, the drought continues in the Natural State. If we receive 6.45'' of rain or less through December 31st, we will end up as one of the top 10 driest years on record. This is EXTREMELY remarkable considering last year (2009) was the wettest year in Little Rock weather history. I also ran some numbers and came up with an even more remarkable statistic. Since 2000, Little Rock is running a rainfall deficit of 32.19''. The past 11 years have been very dry even with the record breaking year of 2009.

There's nothing "Normal" about Arkansas weather!
Glad everyone enjoyed the interview with "Snowbird Bob". I have decided to start calling these "Shooting the Breeze". The pattern continues to look active as we go into the middle to end of the month. The cold weather talked about here first, looks more and more a reality. Can't say for sure how cold, but NOAA is showing a large chunk of the country including Arkansas with much below normal temperatures in the 8-14 day outlook. More on this later!

9 comments:

jimmylee42 said...

Todd-

Interesting factoids about drought conditions and top ten driest years. So, being a winter weather history nut, I find it very unique or odd that in 1963 we had our biggest snow in December. It snowed 9.8 inches at the same time we had our driest year ever.

I remember that snow like it was last week. We went to the train station to pick up a relative at about 2:30 am a few days before Chistmas. It started spitting snow on our way home. Next morning it was like a blizzard and gave us a big white Christmas.

Skywatcher said...

With the current patern it seems we at least have an outside shot at a white Christmas!

SNOWBIRD BOB said...

Hello Everyone, Thanks to all that enjoyed the interview"Shooting The Breeze". I think many people are starting to see what can & may happen as we round out the last 10-14 days of November. Here are my thoughts,I beleive the cold will come in 1-2 step downs, Then, the grand finale with very cold temps around the 19th-22nd of the month. As we get there, I look to see 2 winter storms, First one coming for the I-70 of western Kansas thru the Northern & Central Plains. The second, Well, This is were it get very interesting, I do beleive it will be an I-40 or maybe a little south of I-40 North Thru the Southern & Central Plains, It all depends on timing & from this far out really who knows. I will say this I beleive the state of Arkansas will see some winter weather before months end, Could it be Southern,Central, or Northern Arkansas we will just have to wait & see as we draw closer.

Anonymous said...

I sure hope northern arkansas gets some winter weather this year SnowBird Bob. I got my fingers crossed.

Anonymous said...

Todd lets talk about about the winter weather around the 20-25th

SNOWBIRD BOB said...

This is for Anonymous, For Northern Arkansas, I don't think you will have anything to worry about, In fact in the Winter Snow Total Contest out of the 25 inches combined, I am giving 15 inches for the Harrison area. In fact you might not have to wait that long for your first measurable snow, Opps, I just said that out loud lol. We Shall See..

Anonymous said...

Lol. I do notice the temperatures are gonna be much cooler the end of the month. It just depends on how cold it gets at the surface. Of course if its rich moisture and with cold air and warmer air aloft. Northern arkansas could be in trouble with ice. Just got to wait and see like you said Bob.

Pryor Robertson said...

Speaking of extreme weather - Nov 11, 1911 saw a cold front sweep through that brought a temperature drop of 81* in Bergman, AR from a high of 86 to a low of 5 in 24 hours. Other states saw drops of over 90* with the passage of this front.

SNOWBIRD BOB said...

To Pryor Robertson, Yes, I was reading about that,WOW, Fishing one day, Ice fishing the next lol.