Thursday, March 10, 2011

So Far, No March Meteorological Madness

Today Joan Early told me she's "addicted" to the Arkansas Weather Blog.  I went 3 or 4 days without updating and I got the feeling that was not acceptable. LOL. I was at a grocery store Wednesday and I had a couple people come up to me and say they love reading the blog.  It gave me an idea.  If you ever see me out and about, don't hesitate to say "Hey Weather Geek"!!!  Remember, the 2nd winter contest continues until the end of the month.  After that, get ready to send in your entries for the summer weather contest.  This year I will add an interesting twist to it.

Despite recent storms, March has not been active compared to other years... so far.  I know this will change and severe weather season will kick into high gear.  But I don't see that happening for at least the next 7 days.

We do have a storm system which will bring rain and a few rumbles of thunder Sunday into Monday.  This has the potential to be a cool and miserable rain. 

By the end of next week, I think we could see much, much warmer weather invading the central and eastern United States.  It may only last two or three days, but I think we'll have the POSSIBILITY to go well into the 70s to near 80 degrees by next Thursday and Friday.

This is the European model valid next Thursday morning.  It features high pressure east of Arkansas with a front located across the northern and central plains.  The isobars (black lines) show the surface winds should have a southwesterly component to them which is always a warm wind.  The colors represent 850 millibar temperatures which is located roughly near 5000 feet.  This shows temperatures at that level reaching 15 to 20 degrees Celsius just to our west.  This will translate to mild to warm surface readings which should move into Arkansas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Todd, you have set a standard on the weather blog for frequent updates. Just because the snow is gone does not mean we are not still looking.

Love the blog!

keep up the good work!!

Alan

The NEW Arkansas Weather Blog