Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cold and Snowy Winter Possible

I'm back! I apologize for not blogging lately and not updating social media much.  I took my family down to Seagrove, Florida, for a beach vacation.  I'll be honest with you, I'm not much of a beach person.  This really shouldn't come as a surprise since I love snow and cold weather.  As many of you know, when you have kids, it's about them.  Blake LOVES the sand and the water.  I think he might become a beach bum one of these days.  If he could play on the beach all day, we would.  And at night, no crab is safe.  If Blake can't catch a crab, he'll tackle it.  I'm not kidding.  Don't misunderstand me, I like the beach and I enjoyed it.  However, if I had the option between snow skiing in Montana or the Bahamas, Montana would win every single time.

As many of you know, meteorologist Joe Bastardi with weatherbell.com issued a winter forecast for 2014-2015 last spring.  He was recently interviewed by the Wall Street Journal about it and he continues to stand by his forecast for a colder and snowier winter for our region of the country.  As you know, I'm not a big fan of long range forecasts, but this guy has been spot-on for a long time now.  He was one of the very few who predicted the cold and snowy winter of 2013-2014 and since then he has been on a streak.  He nailed this summer too.  When a guy has a handle on what's going on in the atmosphere and oceans, you listen.  In case you missed the video, I have it below.  He is comparing this winter to the winters of 2002/2003 and 2009/2010.  It's very important to remember what happened in those winters will NOT happen exactly as it did this winter, but there should be obvious similarities.  Also below I'm providing you a look at total snowfall those winters and daily temperatures as well.  I CAN'T WAIT!  BRING ON THE COLD AND SNOW!!!!!  My thoughts are below all the maps and graphics.


TOTAL SNOWFALL FOR METEOROLOGICAL WINTER OF 2002/2003







TOTAL SNOWFALL METEOROLOGICAL WINTER 2009/2010


IN SUMMARY, EVERY MONTH, EXCEPT DECEMBER 2002 HAD TEMPERATURES BELOW AVERAGE.  EVEN THAT DECEMBER WAS ONLY .1 DEGREE ABOVE.  THOSE JANUARY'S AND FEBRUARY'S FOR BOTH WINTERS HAD TEMPERATURES WELL BELOW AVERAGE.

AS YOU CAN SEE BY SNOWFALL, IT WAS VERY SNOWY.  WE'LL WAIT AND SEE HOW ALL THIS PLAYS OUT, BUT AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING SINCE LAST WINTER, SCHOOLS NEED TO BUILD IN MORE SNOW DAYS INTO THEIR CALENDARS.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo!! I also love the cold and snow very much so bring it on!!!

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for an apocalyptic ice storm like 2000!

Anonymous said...

I also like cold and snow, so winter is my favorite season.

Anonymous said...

Please no snow! Some people have to go to work!

Anonymous said...

I guess he got the cold right but only one snow/ice front on record and it's the 2nd half of Feb.

Unknown said...

This winter is expected by many meteorologist to be well below normal temps and well above precipitation! When you put that together it's interesting! It can bring historical snowfall to all of Arkansas and some major snow and ice storms! This is going to be a brutal winter! The way the El Niño is acting it's going to get worse, so this winter has a chance to shatter records!

The NEW Arkansas Weather Blog