|Local pools have bath water. 88 degrees Tuesday.|
People sometimes ask me what's my favorite season? Without any hesitation, I tell them it's winter. I completely dread summer. From now on, when asked why, I'll just point out August 2nd and 3rd, 2011. These two days will more than likely be the hottest of this summer. The major ridge of high pressure we have been talking about since last week means business. It's absolutely incredible to see its effects on places like Fort Smith. While we all complain about the heat here in central Arkansas, the residents of Fort Smith have it so much worse.
- Every single day in July, except for July 4th, was 100 degrees or hotter.
- As of Tuesday, Fort Smith has had 29 consecutive 100 degree days.
- They have had 37 days this summer of 100 degree + temperatures
- On August 2nd, they tied their all time hottest temperature at 113.
While it's not the extreme heat in Fort Smith, Little Rock is on a path to record breaking heat. If the summer of 2011 ended today...
- It's tied for #1 with 2010 for the highest average seasonal temperature
- It comes in 3rd for hottest average high temperature
- By average low temperature, it's the 2nd warmest on record
In case you're wondering, the hottest temperature ever recorded in the state was 120 degrees in Ozark on August 10th, 1936. I don't think we'll get close to that amazing record.