Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Fake Weather

EXAMPLE OF SOMETHING YOU MIGHT SEE FLOATING ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS


PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT INFO FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.  YOU CAN HELP STOP THE SPREAD OF MISINFORMATION.



I will have more on the Gulf of Mexico system as the track becomes more clear.  At this time, it appears the upper Texas coast into southeast Texas will be pummeled by tremendous rainfall.  The system will hang out there for awhile, then begin to move east or northeast.  IF it has an impact on Arkansas weather, it won't be until the beginning to middle of next week.

Now onto my "fake weather" post.  There is no doubt you will start seeing winter forecasts pop up all over social media made from sources you may not be familiar with.    From time to time, I'm asked about these so I thought I would address it now. 

Many of these forecasts are made by weather enthusiasts and that's awesome.  I know there are many of you who are weather geeks just like me and try your hardest to make a good forecast.  Keep it up!  I'm glad we all share the same passion for the weather.

However, there are others who have other intentions and that's what we all call "click bait".  I have rarely seen a forecast from these sources that don't include some mention of a horrible winter with plenty of ice and snow for much of the central and southern United States with jailbreak arctic cold for all.

Of course you can look at all the maps you want to over the coming months, but I thought it might be helpful to make a list of the ones I trust that come from credible sources. 

1) Weatherbell.com
2) NOAA (NWS)
3) Larry Cosgrove (WeatherAmerica)
4) WSI
5) Accuweather

If I left one out, please let me know.  However, if it does not come from one of these sources, I would not put much faith into it.

Why don't I make seasonal forecasts?  I have my hands full with the 7-10 day outlook.  That's enough for me. LOL 

I hope this helps.


No comments:

The NEW Arkansas Weather Blog